Friday, August 29, 2008

CHIPZ INTERVIEW IN RAGO MAGAZINE




Chipz Da General Where are you from and what's the Hip-Hop scene/industry like there?
From The place where hip hop was birthed…the boogie down Bronx!!! The hip hop scene is very tuff here because u got 1000 people trying to rap…everybody trying to get on so it's very hard!


How long have you been rapping and what or who influenced you to pick up the microphone and start writing?
I've been rapping for about 12 years. I have a lot of influences man. I lost my moms at the age of five. Me an my fam went through the struggle I been in constant run ins with the law…I seen an went through so much an plus my older bro Cashes Klay was deadly with the M.I.C he helped me write my first rap on the Amtrak…an its been on since

When did you get your first break and was there anyone person who helped along with your music career?
I got my first break early 07' went into the studio an played with the session not even knowing I jus spit some wild shit.. I was discouraged at one time in my career but that session mang…. I had no choice but to feel myself. D.J Young Focus from Brooklyn was feeling it he branched out…then I started booking sessions until I had a completed mixtape "Leader Of The New Skool Vol. 1" and that did 1500 units moving them myself, and I received a digital distribution deal with Itunes and it was on from that mixtape.

What have you released so far and what has the response been like?
I released my mixtape called Leader Of The New Skool Vol.1 I still get love from that mixtape fans still down load tracks off that. The Son Of Hip Hop & Salute Da General. Check the stats. the response has been great. Im gettin luv. I was nominated Best Mixtape/Street Album Of The Year at The 2008 Underground Music Awards. I appeared on over 150 mixtapes. But it's been nothing but love on whatever I did.

What would say is the most popular track that you have released to date?
I would have to say the new track produced by my producer M Dot…Its Called "About Me" that's buzzing heavy on myspace an throughout the hood. Or I can say BankRoll or Superstar. Those tracks have been appealing to the fans. everything I do tho is a great look!

What producers do you work with?
I work with my boy M Dot, Haze, Jus Beatz, Jimi Kendrix, Drawzilla ,Amadeus & a couple of other underground producersdoin there numbers.

What studio do you record in?
Mirror Image Studios, Matrix Studios, Doug E Fresh Studio!

What artists have you collaborated with and what's the most memorable collaboration that you have recorded?
I've collaborated with My Square Off Fam, Sic Osyrus, Cory Gunz, Sha Stimuli, Nicki Minaj,Clap Congac, M.O.P, Rain (from N.C), Bang Bang Boogie and my immediate family. That's about it as of now. My most memorable track "I will say is one dedicated to my moms called "Forgive Me Mama"

What's your label situation? Who you signed to and do they have distribution?
Label wise I'm a free agent. I'm in talks right now that I can't disclose at the moment but I am a free agent…I got my own record company that I am also shopping for major distribution. The label is called Money Under Pressure Records (M.U.P). As far as any distribution I distribute them through websites retail to a few mom and pop stores or just move them myself.

What are your views on the mixtape game?
It is saturating the marketplace with bootlegs or are they creative masterpieces to help rappers blow? I love mixtapes gives the fans something to listen to until the big releases. I mean some people mess up the game some abide by the rules. It can go either way for artist. Some mixtapes make or break artist. I say mixtapes are a great source of promotion. Its been in my favor!

With so many rappers in the game how are you planning to make noise and get noticed?
I keep planning to make great songs. Release hot freestyles. I'm one artist that loves to network I use that to my advantage. Plus I'm hungry unlike other artist that are coming out not saying all artist coming out are thrash, the world knows who is nice an who isn't. I plan to let the music speak. My music is real talk unlike a lot that's coming out these days. Just listen and I guaranteed you are going to like what I produce to the public and you going to be like that kid is destined for this.You Digg!

Have you featured or hosted any mixtapes?
I have been featured on over 150 mixtapes,But it's been nothing but love on whatever I did. Jumped on mixtape out in Germany. I mean I'm still working man!

Are you working on new material?
Yes currently working on another mixtape to follow up my two smashers. "Son Of Hip Hop & Salute Da General" And currently working on "The Big Debut" Also i'm currently working on a script i recieved and cashing off modeling gigs.

Have you done many live shows or tours?
Tell us more about your live show. I do a lot of live shows. i went on a 16 State Tour Called "Back On The Grind Tour". I am trying to set up my promotional tour. I'll make sure I break news to you first. But live shows for me are great live shows. I like to get the crowd involved make the girls scream you know the routine.lol

What's been the most memorable gig and why?
My first big show I ever did at City Club In NYC in like 03'. I performed with my big bro Cashes. He and I had a big fight prior to the show over the tickets to the show. I wanted to sell more tickets but at the same time he wanted to sell the most tickets. We got into it but we still did the show, won the showcase and put an end to the problem.

Any tips for someone just coming into the game?
Do not get discouraged. Stay humble make sure you always working and just make sure you have a great network game if you trying to get far in this biz. Make sure you have some type of plan and just give it your all. You get what you put in.

Any major plans for 2008-09? Anything big in the pipeline?
I'm just trying to secure the deal. Drop the debut album, drop mixtapes, do shows, just show the world who Chipz Da General Is. So Whatever I need to do to get to the next step that's what my motive is going to be about. Just did a deal with Nike, Modells, & MLB. "Might Of Seen My Face All Over NYC Trains. And I'm working on acting in my first movie "Road To Riches" Lookout for that.

What radio stations in your area are supporting your music?
D.J Marley Marl On 105.1 has been showing me crazy love. 91.9fm and 1.fm Jamz also a lot of internet radio stations and satelite stations, And I can't forget XM 66 Raw.

'Big name' collaborations seem to be the way for 'underground artists' to get more exposure. Do you plan to do this?
I do plan to collab with big name artist. I got some new cuts I'm working on with Nicki Minaj, Cory Gunz, Meek Millz, tryna reach out to John Legend on something. And I plan to pull a few other hats out the bag.

Have you done any music videos to promote your latest release? If so what TV Stations have played it and who made the video?
You can just Youtube me and Watch Me Do Me. lol

How are you finding the My Space.Com revolution? Love it or hate it? What are your views?
I love myspace. (lol) it helped me reach out to a lot of people. Gave me a chance to gain a bigger fan base. I am highly viewed on myspace so I have no complains with the site at all. Just to Tom, Always have to work on my page because I get so much mail and comments and music reviews. (lol)

Do you have a My Space page or a website?
Yes of course. Go check it out. www.myspace.com/chipzdageneral

What other rappers are you feeling at the moment?
Chipz , Square Off, Cory Gunz, Styles P & Jada, Fab, T.I, Luda, Jeezy, of course Nas and Jay rocking in the C.D player. I am also like a lot of Trey Songz & John Legend tracks. There are a few others I'm feeling those are my main ones though.

What other producers are you feeling at the moment?
M Dot, Doc Dre, Neptunes, Kanye, Em, Jimi Kendrix, Cool & Dre, and Scott Storch.

Describe your style in 5 words.
The Son Of Hip Hop!!!

Do you a direct link for people wanting to buy your music on-line?
www.pardonmeduke.com www.datpiff.com or the Itunes music store.

Would you ever sign to a major label?
I would sign any deal as long as the deal is negotiated to the right circumstance. As long as my paper is right and my businesses are right. Then I am right. Answering your question though I will sign to a major as long as the deal is right.

Do you have a manager or booking agent?
I have a publiscist by the name of Viola Nile.& Im Under Management.

Do you know anything about the UK Rap scene? Heard any UK Hip-Hop?
I have heard some U.K artist. Artist such as Lady Sovereign and S.A.S. To me it's some what a different type of hip hop but that goes to show you hip hop comes in a lot of different forms and shapes.

Why should people buy your music?
If you want music that you can really relate to that's a big reason. If you want to listen to hot music period you can not go wrong with Chipz. No one can go wrong by copping the General

Any shout-outs or anything you wanna add?
BX stand up! Chaps gang we here now. My Square off fam, Kingsbridge, Graceful Imagery, The Source & Foundation Mag, Silver D, Menace, M.U.P 4 Life. My Producer M Dot and Laid Back M, Rich Ross, cory Gunz & The Malitia, Nicki Minaj, My Pushy Pub, Haze,Fashion Hurtz, Alador & Smith, Just-Beatz, M.U.P Records, King Seagz, Soldier, Cashes Klay, DNS, Don Deigo, Free Del, Baby, Doe, & Killa R.I.P Mommy, And I Love All My Fans.Chipz Da General Signing Out~

Interview by Tricksta
www.myspace.com/trickstawolftown

No comments: